POTSDAM - An electrical malfunction outside the National Grid Lawrence Avenue substation in Potsdam caused a grass fire and some in the village to lose power for nearly an hour.
Power was out in Potsdam shortly before 2:30 p.m. and the Potsdam Fire Department rushed to the scene. Third Assistant Fire Chief John Keleher, who lives near the substation, said he heard a popping sound like fireworks before joining other firefighters at the scene. Power was back on by 3:30. With the electricity out, Potsdam Village Police could be seen downtown directing traffic. They indicated that when traffic lights are not working drivers must treat an intersection as a four way stop.