Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Thu., Aug. 27
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Yard Dawgs defeat Revolution in semipro football


CARTHAGE — Facing a seven-point deficit, the Watertown Revolution possessed the ball for over 11 minutes on a pair of the fourth-quarter drives.

But Watertown was unable to turn either drive into points, and as a result, dropped its Northeastern Football Alliance East Division home opener, 21-14, to the Utica Yard Dawgs Saturday night at Carthage High School.

Revolution quarterback Lamont Lane was knocked out of the game with 10 seconds left after taking a hit at the end of a 12-yard scramble, which set Watertown up with a 4th-and-1 at the Utica 38-yard line.

George Gilmore lined up under center for the final play, and rushed up the middle for three yards. Gilmore picked up the first down, but the clock expired in the process.

“A lot of missed plays,” Lane said. “Missed play here, missed play there. We came out to play, but at the end, it’s just little plays that cost us.”

Lane, who lay on the ground for a few minutes after his exciting run, said that his leg cramped up at the end of the play.

“I never wanted to leave a football game with a cramp, with 10 seconds to go,” said Lane, who completed 15-of-29 passes for 196 yards and touchdown, while rushing for a team-high 96 yards. “You want to be that quarterback, on that last drive, to put it in. I felt like I let my team down this week. But I promise that will never happen again.”

The Revolution drove 64 yards down the field on a seven-minute drive to start the fourth, but ultimately turned the ball over on downs.

On 4th-and-10 from the Utica 20, Lane scrambled to his right and threw it up to Angel Hickman in the back of the end zone, but a Utica defender broke up the play.

“We came out, we played hard, and we needed to make some big plays on third and fourth downs, and we didn’t make them,” said Revolution coach Brandon Doherty, whose team fell to 0-2. “The other team played well, they stopped us and took advantage of some things. They outplayed us today.”

The Yard Dawgs (1-1) scored what proved to be the game-winning touchdown six minutes into the third quarter.

Quarterback Neil Stanhope found Reshaud Porch deep and hit him in stride for a 61-yard touchdown pass to break a 14-14 tie.

Stanhope set up the deep ball with a pump fake to his slot receiver.

“I saw the corner bite on the pump so I knew he was going to be open over the top,” Stanhope said. “So I let it fly and he made a great play on the ball.”

Stanhope and Porch also hooked up for a 27-yard TD, which tied the game at 14 with just under two minutes to go in the first half.

Watertown took a 14-7 lead with a pair of second-quarter TDs, highlighted by an 80-yard pass from Lane to Ben Henry.

Lane rolled to his left and found Henry wide open about 40 yards up the field. Henry then took it to the end zone untouched.

“We’re OK. We’ll get better, we’re growing,” Lane said. “But once we do gel and mesh, we will be a force to reckon with in our league.”

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes