ADAMS Smoke originating in the basement of Country View Apartments, 87 E. Church St., prompted the evacuation of senior citizens from their units shortly after 4 Friday morning.
There was no fire, but smoke circulated into the first floor of the two-story structure. Joseph D. Plummer, Jefferson County director of fire and emergency management, said the source was found to be a malfunctioning elevator motor overheating hydraulic oil.
Firefighters from Adams, Adams Center, Lorraine and Mannsville as well as ambulances responded to the 4:18 a.m. alarm. The situation was cleared in about two hours.