FOWLER A fire ignited by cooking oil Sunday afternoon destroyed a two-story house at 570 Country Club Road, St. Lawrence County fire officials said.
The 100-year-old, wood frame farmhouse was occupied by Jay Bresett, 72, a cattle farmer, and his wife, Kisako, 81.
Mrs. Bresett was reportedly cooking with oil when it caught fire. She was treated for a right forearm burn at E.J. Noble Hospital, Gouverneur.
Mr. Bresett was in the barn at the time and was unhurt.
A Gouverneur firefighter who was not identified was treated at the scene for a facial cut. The fire did not spread to the barn.
Firefighters from Gouverneur, Richville and Edwards were called to the scene at 12:34 p.m. and remained until after 5:30 p.m., according to county fire investigator Joseph Lacks.
Fire departments from Oxbow, Hermon and Dekalb were on standby.
Officials said the fire was a stubborn one to contain because of the wood; the vertical so-called balloon construction common in old homes; and multiple layers of roofing material. The fire just went right up the walls, Mr. Lacks said.
The home was insured.