HERMON Four people were left homeless after a faulty lamp cord sparked a house fire here Monday evening, St. Lawrence County sheriffs deputies said.
Firefighters were called to 1215 County Route 20 at 6:49 p.m., dispatchers said.
Tom and Donna Sharpe were tenants in the home, which is owned by William Balling, Richville. Mrs. Sharpe and her two children, Jerome, 10, and Brittney, 8, were home at the time and were alerted by a smoke detector, deputies said.
There was heavy fire damage in the living room and smoke and water damage throughout the rest of the home, deputies said.
The homeowner had insurance, but the renters did not, deputies said. The Sharpe family was assisted by the American Red Cross following the fire.