10 years ago
Dec. 12, 2002: The state Fire Prevention and Building Code Council reversed a rule change Wednesday that small sawmill owners feared would have driven them out of business. The councils unanimous decision, in response to an organized lobbying effort by mill owners, will allow small mills to continue to sell rough-hewn structural lumber that does not bear a stamp certifying the lumbers grade.
25 years ago
Dec. 12, 1987: For the first time in its history, Canton Central School is being called on to deal with a student identified as having the Acquired Immune Deficiency (AIDS) virus.
50 years ago
Dec. 12, 1962: Ogdensburg escaped the brunt of the severe snowstorm that hit Northern New York over the past two days. Despite the fact that the focal point of the storm was in Watertown, the Watertown Daily Times was the only out-of-city paper available in Ogdensburg.
75 years ago
Dec. 12, 1937: Fire of an unknown origin partly destroyed St. Pauls Episcopal church, Constableville, the oldest church in Lewis County, about 1:30 Sunday afternoon. The damage was unable to be determined, although church officers stated that it would be several thousand dollars.
100 years ago
Dec. 12, 1912: Write many letters today and date them thus, 12-12-12, for not for nearly a century will anyone have the chance to observe such a sequence of numerals. After today, the men who delight in sameness will have to wait until Jan. 1, 2001, when they can write 1-1-1.
125 years ago
Dec. 12, 1887: Tomorrow will be the 35th N.Y. volunteers day. Watertown will cordially welcome the veterans.
150 years ago
Dec. 12, 1862: The Rev. S.H. Taft of Martinsburgh, Lewis County, we are informed is organizing an emigrant company to bring to Iowa. There are already associated two carpenters, one cabinetmaker, one dressmaker, one tinner and nine farmers.