MANNSVILLE A family of five is homeless, with a dog, a few cats and a pet bird dead, following an early-morning fire Monday that destroyed a single-wide trailer and an addition at 803 Brown Road.
Robert Martin Jr., his wife, Renee, and three children, ages 3, 4 and 8, escaped after being awakened shortly before 12:45 a.m. by the smell of smoke, said Joseph D. Plummer, Jefferson County director of fire and emergency management, who was the first responder at the scene.
The blaze originated in the addition, which was engulfed when he arrived, Mr. Plummer said. Flames were working into the trailer at that time, he said.
An electrical cause is suspected, Mr. Plummer said. There were no smoke alarms in the structure, he said.
The family, uninsured, lost all belongings.
Mr. Martin is believed to have been buying the property under a land contract with the owner, listed in county property records as Stephen J. Watson, Syracuse.
Mannsville firefighters were assisted by departments from Ellisburg, Adams and Sandy Creek.