ADAMS CENTER The residence of Gary A. Barney, 12342 Route 11, sustained moderate roof, smoke and water damage in a fire Wednesday afternoon.
Adams Center Fire Department Chief Mark C. Thomas said the volunteer department got the call about 3:20 p.m. Wednesday. The fire began in a chimney but spread and caused damage to the attic.
He said volunteers with the Adams Fire Department assisted his crew on scene for about three hours, and both departments were called back to the scene nearly two hours after they left because some insulation was smoldering.
Their roof needs to be replaced, Mr. Thomas said. The only fire was in the roof space, and the living quarters only suffered smoke and water damage.
Mr. Thomas said the single-digit temperatures Wednesday didnt have any factor in fighting the fire, as there was just a small amount of ice that built up.
No injuries were reported, he said.