Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Fri., Aug. 28
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Hammond wants higher percentage of sales tax distribution


HAMMOND —The Town Council stopped short Tuesday of throwing its support behind St. Lawrence County’s sales tax proposal.

Legislators want to increase the county sales tax from 3 percent to 4 percent, bringing the total, with the state’s 4 percent, to 8 percent. County lawmakers have outlined a multiyear plan to use additional revenue from raising the tax to lower property taxes.

“If it is going to reduce taxes and increases our levy for our constituents, then I think it’s worth pursuing,” Councilman Douglas E. Delosh said. “I think we’re getting the short end of the stick, though.”

Town Council members said they would like to see a larger percentage of money redistributed back to the towns and villages.

Towns and villages expect to receive 10 percent of the 1 percent increase in sales tax revenue, which for Hammond equates to roughly $12,000 per year, Supervisor Ronald W. Bertram said.

“We want more,” Councilman Howard W. Demick said.

Mr. Demick said he is also “skeptical” of whether the county would stick to its five-year plan to redistribute the 10 percent of its funds back to the towns and villages without a contract.

“It’s not written in stone on how they can spend this money,” Mr. Bertram said. “There’s no binding contract so they have to do that. There’s no guarantee.”

But, overall, the council acknowledged that the county’s five-year plan, which includes a 14 percent property tax reduction, would benefit Hammond property owners, Mr. Bertram said.

“We will make out favorably because we have a large tax base,” Mr. Bertram said. “It means a lot when the county drops 14 percent based on the number of people in the county. It won’t benefit every individual, but Hammond as a whole will end up paying less tax, when you combine property and sales tax.”

Mr. Bertram said he would take the town’s response to the next meeting of mayors and supervisors Tuesday.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes