BRIER HILL A faulty chimney has been cited in a fire that damaged a Brier Hill home early Wednesday, firefighters said.
The lone occupant at 802 Sand St. Road escaped the 1:29 a.m. fire after being alerted by smoke detectors, Brier Hill Fire Chief Shawn R. Macaulay said.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the back room of the house, Mr. Macaulay said.
He said the fire is believed to have started with a faulty chimney for a wood-burning stove in the basement.
Tax records show the property is owned by Michael Stout and Erin Bickelhaupt. The house is insured, Mr. Macaulay said.
Brier Hill firefighters were aided by crews from Morristown and Hammond, with about 60 people on scene.
I would like to thank all departments for a great save, Mr. Macaulay said.