BRASHER FALLS - Voters didnt come out in droves on Tuesday, but those that did overwhelmingly supported St. Lawrence Central Schools plan for a $375,000 capital project to address security issues in the district.
When the polls closed at 7 p.m., 106 residents had voted yes, while 28 said no. Two absentee ballots were voided.
That means the district can now move forward with plans to beef up security at the high school and elementary school by tightening access to the buildings.
Once the project is complete, which Superintendent Stephen M. Putman said could be this fall, visitors to the schools will be able to enter the outside set of doors, but theyll need to check in and present identification at a transaction window before theyre buzzed in by school personnel through the interior set of doors.
As part of the project, theyll need to create the transaction window between the two sets of doors at the high school and elementary school and a slot where visitors can provide their identification before entering the school. The entrance to the middle school will not be accessible during the day, and the entrance near the superintendents office is kept locked.
The high school will not require much change for the new configuration, according to Mr. Putman, but the elementary doors will need to be moved further toward the cafeteria to provide the room they need between the exterior and interior doors.
They will also need to reconfigure the elementary office area to relocate the secretary to what is currently a conference and meeting room.
With the project, teachers will also be able to lock their doors from the inside, a capability that is not currently available on all the classroom doors. Once locked, teachers will still be able to open the door from the inside, but it will remain locked from the outside.
Now that voters have approved the project, Mr. Putman said architects will start drawing the plans for submission to the state Education Department.
I dont think itll take the architects very long. Bidding shouldnt be difficult. Im hoping we can get this into state Ed and approved and completed by the fall, he said.
Mr. Putman said 98 percent of the project will be covered by state aid and the remaining 2 percent will be covered by EXCEL aid that the district still has remaining.