Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Fri., Oct. 9
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Woman injured, house destroyed when oxygen vapors ignite


NEW BREMEN — A fire that ignited when a resident was smoking a cigarette while taking oxygen left the woman hospitalized with burns and her home in ruins Thursday.

The home of Eugene and Enid Cady, 8476 Route 812, was deemed a total loss.

According to a Lewis County Emergency Management news release, oxygen vapors ignited, setting Mrs. Enid’s clothes on fire.

She was taken to Lewis County General Hospital, Lowville, where a nursing supervisor said she was stable Thursday night.

Her age was not provided, but the news release described her as elderly.

Mr. Cady reported the fire just after 3 p.m.

The couple has no insurance.

While the primary fire department on scene was the New Bremen Fire Department, mutual aid was provided by the Croghan, Beaver Falls and Lowville fire departments.

Lewis County Search and Rescue, National Grid, a sheriff’s investigator and the American Red Cross of Northern New York also were on the scene.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes