NEW BREMEN A fire that ignited when a resident was smoking a cigarette while taking oxygen left the woman hospitalized with burns and her home in ruins Thursday.
The home of Eugene and Enid Cady, 8476 Route 812, was deemed a total loss.
According to a Lewis County Emergency Management news release, oxygen vapors ignited, setting Mrs. Enids clothes on fire.
She was taken to Lewis County General Hospital, Lowville, where a nursing supervisor said she was stable Thursday night.
Her age was not provided, but the news release described her as elderly.
Mr. Cady reported the fire just after 3 p.m.
The couple has no insurance.
While the primary fire department on scene was the New Bremen Fire Department, mutual aid was provided by the Croghan, Beaver Falls and Lowville fire departments.
Lewis County Search and Rescue, National Grid, a sheriffs investigator and the American Red Cross of Northern New York also were on the scene.