MASSENA - A house at 6 Cornell Avenue was heavily damaged by an explosion this morning. The house is between Center and Willow streets, across from Violis Restaurant.
A discarded cigarette started a swing on fire, which detonated a box of ammunition that was on the front porch of the house, Assistant Fire Chief Ted Kyrwanczyk said. No injuries were reported. The house, which was owned by David Seguin suffered significant fire damage.
The home was occupied by Beatrice Castle and four others who did not have renters insurance. The property was insured by its owner.
Volunteers responded to the scene at 10:22 a.m. and were back in service just over an hour later at 11:38 a.m.
The Massena Volunteer Fire Department were aided on the scene by Seaway Valley Ambulance, Massena Electric and St. Lawrence Gas. The Louisville Volunteer Fire Department was on standy-by during the call.