CANTON Resolution of the case against a Buffalo man charged in connection with an Ogdensburg drug bust has been delayed after he changed his mind about a plea deal that could have put him in prison for up to 5½ years.
Andre L. Wilson, 40, was among four arrested Dec. 6 following a raid by Ogdensburg police at 325 Belmont Courts. Police said the arrests were the culmination of an ongoing investigation into crack cocaine trafficking in the city.
Mr. Wilson initially maintained his innocence in a brief appearance Jan. 22 before St. Lawrence County Judge Jerome J. Richards.
Mr. Wilson appeared before Judge Richards on May 3 and was granted release after posting $15,000 bond. Attorney Gregory P. Storie said then that his client was hoping to be able to return home briefly given the amount of prison time he was facing.
When Mr. Storie appeared with his client again Friday, he said Mr. Wilson had experienced a change of heart about the plea, and his representation. Mr. Wilson needed some additional time to gather the money for new counsel because of a lack of funds following his release on bond, Mr. Storie said.
Chief Assistant District Attorney Amanda N. Nissen said the prosecution had no objection to the request.
Judge Richards granted an adjournment until June 10.
Under the terms of his release set last week, Mr. Wilson is subject to a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew, in addition to prohibitions against the purchase, possession or consumption of alcohol or any illicit substances.