AKWESASNE - An overheated lamp cord caused a minor fire at approximately 10:10 p.m. Thursday at the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort.
Casino officials, in a press release issued Friday, said two casino associates were treated for minor ailments.
They said fire department officials had ruled that a pinched wire in a floor lamp located in an unoccupied seventh floor hotel room had ignited, causing minor damage. The fire was quickly extinguished using a hand-held fire extinguisher, according to casino officials.
For safety reasons, hotel occupants were evacuated and the Hogansburg-Akwesasne Volunteer Fire Department and the Saint Regis Mohawk Police responded with aid from local area fire departments, they said. Hotel occupants were allowed to return to their rooms without incident.