CHAUMONT Lyme Central School will start replacing old and rotting roofs covering its district building in areas that were not addressed during the districts $4 million capital project in 2010.
District Superintendent Karen M. Donahue said construction crews plan to begin replacing roofing in several areas as soon as Aug. 5 with a goal to wrap up the bulk of the work before the school year begins.
RSI Roofing Inc., Gouverneur, was hired as the general contractor, and Bernier, Carr & Associates, Watertown, is the projects architect. RSI Roofing and subcontractors will put new roofing on the original wing and a few other spots.
Mrs. Donahue had said the roofing on some areas is more than 20 years old and in dire need of replacement because of dry rot and leaks.
The skylights on the gymnasium, which were installed in the 1980s, will be removed. To continue providing adequate natural lighting in the gym, Lyme will install new sidelight windows, which are expected to reduce the districts energy bill by better insulating the building.
In March, district voters approved the $875,800 project by a 107-46 vote. State building aid will cover approximately 68 percent of the total cost, and the remaining 32 percent or approximately $280,000 will be levied and paid back over the next 16 years.
The school board is considering upgrades to the buildings entrances using leftover funds, but those talks are still preliminary.