Several north country veteran advocates want to give soldiers a big welcome a home, and they are turning to St. Lawrence County residents to help them do it.
The Veterans Affairs Volunteers Service of Heuvelton Amvets Post 1997 Ladies Auxiliary is holding a three-day fundraiser to benefit enlisted military and veterans.
VAVS will collect perishable and nonperishable groceries as part of stuff the trailer event in the city at Walgreens, 723 Canton St., Friday from 3 to 6:30 p.m., at Walgreens in Potsdam, 173 Market St., Saturday from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and Walgreens in Massena, 303 Main St., Sunday from 3 to 6:30 p.m.
All merchandise and money raised will be donated to the VA Medical Center in Syracuse and the United Service Organization of Fort Drum.
VAVS is asking the communities to come out dressed in 1950s and 60s attire and enjoy listening and dancing to the music held at each event. Antique cars are also welcome to stop by.
The VA Hospital in Syracuse has a high demand for coffee and creamer, all size T-shirts and shorts, and gift cards, as the veterans are often taken out on outings, volunteer Susan J. Rupert said.
The USO and VA hospital can use a wide variety of items, Mrs. Rupert said.
The USO at Fort Drum has Hot Dog Day every Wednesday, where they serve 170 to 200 people at lunch time, she said. Before deployments, they host lunches for soldiers and their families and they also do private family gatherings if a family is coming from out of town.
USO Fort Drum Director Karen M. Clark says although less than 1 percent of the nation serves in our Armed Forces, the other 99 percent, by supporting stuff the trailer or volunteerstill be part of the team.
Thanks to donations from events like stuff the trailer the USO Fort Drum is able to offer some home-away-from-home comforts to our troops and their families, she said. We are always in need of paper plates, napkins, plastic cutlery, hot and cold beverage cups, disposable razors, toothbrushes, and tiny tubes of toothpaste. When everyone pitches in and gives a little, the impact on morale is huge.
One of the biggest in-demand items is energy bars, Mrs. Rupert said.
So many more soldiers are being deployed, she said. With the protein bars, they can take a small piece of it and last a long time and dont have to eat for a long time. They are in big demand right now.
Other items needed include:
Food: hot dogs, hot dog buns, tortilla chips, assorted chips, sweet and salty snacks, ketchup, mustard, relish, soda, ground coffee, packets of sugar, and pump creamer.
Paper and miscellaneous products: Copy paper, plastic utensils, paper plates and bowls, 55-gallon garbage bags, 13-gallon garbage bags, dish washing soap, laundry detergent, liquid hand washing soap, 10/12 ounce cold drink cups, plastic cups, 10/12 ounce hot drink cups, coffee stir sticks, Bunn large decanter coffee filters, disposable forks, spoons, knives, and drink straws.
Office supplies: Avery 5160 labels, envelopes, ink cartridges, AA batteries, AAA batteries, pens, paperclips, scissors, scotch tape, magnets, sharpie black permanent markers, and Forever stamps,
Gift cards: Wal-Mart, Sams Club, Staples, Amazon.com, GameStop, and gas stations.
The USO uses donations on a continuous basis, which is why we try to hold this event twice a year, Mrs. Rupert said.
To make a donation, all checks should be written to the VAVS-Heuvelton, Amvets Post 1997 Ladies Auxiliary.
For more information, call Mrs. Rupert at 854-5981.