FORT DRUM The post will be bringing back hundreds of employees from furlough starting today.
The post announced Sunday evening that it is bringing back all of its garrison employees, about 250 people. In all, there are about 790 garrison employees, although only 250 were furloughed starting Wednesday as a result of the federal government shutdown.
The number of returning employees does not include medical workers on the post, with about 60 percent of the 560 medical workers having been furloughed.
Jeffrey W. Zuhlke, president of American Federation of Government Employees Local 400, said Sunday evening that he was aware Fort Drum had recalled most, if not all, of the furloughed garrison workers, but that the union is working to ensure that all its members return to their jobs as soon as possible.
Were heading in the right direction, Mr. Zuhlke said.
He said he expected the post would make additional decisions this morning, and would make calls to workers.
About 575 garrison and medical employees, representing about 42.5 percent of the posts workforce, have been at home since Tuesday as a result of the government shutdown. The high number of exemptions locally was credited to the increased activity and deployments of the post and the 10th Mountain Division.
Defense Secretary Charles Hagel said Saturday that most, but not all, workers could return as a result of the Pay Our Military Act signed by President Barack Obama last Monday, and that military planners had worked since then to eliminate furloughs for employees whose responsibilities contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members.
The Pentagon estimated Saturday that at least 90 percent of its roughly 350,000 furloughed civilian employees would be called back to work, significantly reducing the number of sidelined federal workers. In all, about 800,000 federal workers had been furloughed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.