Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Wed., Oct. 7
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Lyme Central’s roof project nearly completed; school board eyeing “second phase” with leftover funds


CHAUMONT — With its roof replacement project nearly done, Lyme Central School is eyeing security upgrades using leftover funds.

District Superintendent Karen M. Donahue said that the construction bids came in lower than anticipated and that Lyme could use the remaining funds — about $200,000 — to replace aging exterior doors and reconfigure entrances at the school district’s kindergarten-through-12th-grade building to better control public access.

The school board also is considering installing additional security cameras at the district building and adding more lighting in the student parking lot.

But even if the district Board of Education decides to move forward with these proposed improvements at its Oct. 22 meeting, the work is unlikely to begin before next summer.

This is because the district would have to submit designs and seek state approval for the “second phase” of its latest capital project — a process that often takes months to complete.

“Our hope is, by next summer, we’ll be ready to go,” Mrs. Donahue said.

If the school board approves the proposed work, project engineers with Bernier, Carr & Associates, Watertown, will be asked to provide the designs.

District voters in March gave Lyme Central the green light for an $875,800 capital project to replace old and rotting roofs and remove the 30-year-old skylights on the gymnasium and install new sidelight windows, among other improvements.

New custom windows were being installed on the gymnasium Wednesday, but most of the work already has been completed, Mrs. Donahue said.

Some finishing touches remain, but district officials hope to wrap up the project next week.

State building aid will cover approximately 68 percent of the total cost, and the remaining 32 percent — about $280,000 — will be levied and paid back over 16 years.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes