LISBON Through smoke, mist, fog and rain, firefighters battled a structure fire Friday at 495 Ballantine Road.
Emergency crews from Heuvelton, Canton, Lisbon and Morristown responded to the blaze shortly after 3 p.m.
Lisbon Second Assistant Fire Chief Cory J. Kroeger said he was the third person on the scene when he saw flames shooting out of the back of the two-story house.
The flames had gone out the back of the building and spread inside, he said.
Firefighters put out the flames within 15 minutes, but the crews carefully continued to comb through the house for two hours, searching for hot spots.
The fire appeared to have been caused by a wood stove malfunction, Mr. Kroeger said.
Well have to wait for the investigation to be complete before we can find out what exactly happened, he said.
Mr. Kroeger said no one was inside at the time of the fire, and the house is not considered a total loss.
The owner of the house has not yet been confirmed by investigators.