DEXTER A two-story home sustained extensive damage during a fire Saturday evening in the village.
All of the occupants of the home at 16583 Evans Road were able to escape without serious injury, according to Scott ORiley, assistant chief of the Glen Park Fire Department.
Multiple fire and emergency crews were called to the residence about 4:50 p.m.
The fire was located primarily in the homes upper levels, with flames visible from the houses front and back left side.
Heavy smoke billowed out of the house as responders attempted to put out the fire.
Nicholas M. Pickett, a captain for the Dexter Fire Department, said late Saturday that the house sustained quite a bit of damage from the fire, along with serious water damage.
Jefferson County fire investigators are reviewing what started the fire, but Mr. Pickett said the assumption is that a heater accidentally caused it.
With temperatures around 10 degrees Fahrenheit, Mr. Pickett said, crews were challenged to keep the hoses from freezing and ensure firefighters remained warm and safe. He said the water, falling snow and low temperatures made many surfaces slippery.
You tend to have to be real careful, he said.
Mr. ORiley said the houses location and extended driveway also created problems for responders.
Fire crews from Dexter, Glen Park, town of Watertown, Chaumont, Sackets Harbor and Brownville responded to the scene, along with Guilfoyle Ambulance. Some crews were at the scene until about 10:30 p.m.
Video from the scene can be viewed at http://wdt.me/fire-evansroad.