MACOMB Several fire departments worked together against cold, then heat and then sweat to try to put out a house fire at 458 Bishop Road that started shortly before 6 p.m. Friday.
Fire departments from Morristown, Gouverneur, Brier Hill and Heuvelton struggled to contain the flames, which eventually claimed the seasonal home.
Hammond and Rensselaer Falls fire departments were on standby.
The owner of the home, Zef Selco, was not at home the time, Morristown Fire Chief Kevin J. Crosby said.
Weve attempted to contact him, but we have not heard anything yet, Mr. Crosby said. We believe he lives in New York City.
Mr. Crosby said putting out the fire in the antiquated structure was a challenge for firefighters. He said for the first hour and a half crews were unable to extinguish the flames from inside the house.
It was an older house that was cut up, Mr. Crosby said. It was a large, balloon-style structure. The fire was able to go from one end of the house to the other fairly quickly. It was very dangerous for them.
When the flames became too difficult to fight inside, Mr. Crosby said, firefighters fought the blaze with hoses from the outside.
Downed power lines that were attached to the house also caused flames to reignite at one point. Live wires on the ground caused sparks to shoot out at firefighters.
But no firefighters were harmed in putting out the fire, Mr. Crosby said.
The ice was definitely slippery, but luckily no one got hurt, he said.
The fire was extinguished at 10:30 p.m. The exact cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
The house is a total loss, Mr. Crosby said. Investigators were unsure Saturday whether it was insured.