Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Mon., Aug. 31
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

College hockey: Colgate outlasts Clarkson


HAMILTON — The Clarkson University men’s hockey team suffered another rought night at Colgate’s Starr Rink, falling 3-2 to the Raiders in an ECAC Hockey game Friday.

Clarkson (15-8-2 overall, 8-3 conference) fell to 0-5-2 in its last seven games in the building.

Colgate (12-9-3, 8-3-1) earned the win on a tough shot from Andrew Black at 5 minutes, 40 seconds of the third period. Black was well-defended by Clarkson’s James de Haas and had a small opening for the shot, but found the window for the game-winning goal.

“I thought they made one more play in the end,” Clarkson coach Casey Jones said. “Both goaltenders made some good saves.”

The Raiders, who have gone 5-0-1 in the 2014 portion of the season, built an early 2-0 lead on Clarkson, despite being outshot 11-8 in the opening period.

Colgate’s first goal came as the puck bounced off the wall behind Clarkson’s net and landed on the tape of the stick of Colgate’s Joe Wilson, who put a shot past Clarkson goalie Steve Perry at 4:17.

“They got a lucky bounce on the first goal,” Jones said.

Colgate extended the lead to 2-0 with a power-play goal from Tylor Spink at 12:23 of the opening period. Clarkson had 21 seconds left to kill on a Jordan Boucher slashing penalty.

The Raiders nearly made it 3-0 in the first period but Perry made a quick glove snag of a shot by Wilson at 13:25.

“I thought he played pretty well,” Jones said of Perry. “They had a couple good scoring chances where they could have had a three- or four-goal lead on us.”

Clarkson got back into the game in the second period, beginning with a power-play goal from defenseman Paul Geiger at 10:24. Geiger’s shot from the point deflected off a Raiders player and snuck past Colgate goalie Charlie Finn, cutting the lead to 2-1.

Finn kept Clarkson from tying the game with 4:38 left in the second period, robbing Joe Zarbo on a shot near the net. The Raiders had a solid chance to extend the lead to 3-1 with three minutes left in the period but defenseman Kevin Tansey made several plays with his stick, denying Raider scoring chances.

Clarkson tied the game 2-2 with 12 seconds left in the period on a shot from Will Frederick.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes