Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Wed., Oct. 7
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

College hockey: Cornell denies Clarkson


ITHACA — What started out promising turned sour for the Clarkson University men’s hockey team Saturday night in Cornell’s Lynah Rink.

The Big Red edged the Golden Knights 3-2 before, 4,267 fans in an ECAC Hockey game, rallying from a 2-0 deficit after one period and leaving Clarkson 0-2 on the weekend trip to Central New York.

Clarkson (15-9-2 overall, 8-4 ECAC Hockey) took a 2-0 lead in the first period off goals from Pat Megannety and Ben Sexton.

Megannety scored off a pass from Sexton at 2 minutes, 10 seconds, and then Sexton scored off an assist from Megannety at 16:42 of the opening period.

The points were the first for Megannety since a game at home against Cornell on Nov. 15.

“We have to get guys scoring and he’s on of the guys that can help in that department, that’s for sure,” Clarkson coach Casey Jones said. “The first goal was a goal-scorer’s goal. That’s a really good shot.”

Things were going well for Clarkson until the 7:54 mark of the second period, when Cornell (10-4-5, 6-3-4) cut the lead to 2-1 on a goal from fourth-line forward Matt Buckles.

Just 81 seconds after Buckles scored, the Big Red tied the game 2-2 with a goal from defenseman Jacob MacDonald and the momentum swung Cornell’s way for the remainder of the game.

“I thought they got a ton of momentum off that first break they got,” Jones said. “I thought we had good energy in the first period. The second period they got that bound off the side of the net that handcuffed (goalie Greg Lewis). They got a ton of momentum. I thought it snowballed a little bit on us there.”

Cornell’s game-winning goal came at 15:30 of the second period on a shot from Christian Hilbrich.

Clarkson, which had 13 shots in the opening period, recorded just 12 in the final two periods combined as goalie Andy Iles finished with 23 saves for the Big Red.

“We competed hard,” Jones said. “We were a goal away from winning. I thought we battled hard over the course of the weekend. I thought the downside to tonight was we didn’t settle in quick enough when they had some momentum in the second period. They were able to get up on us. We talked about trying to fight through it and different ways to move on.”

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes