Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Fri., Oct. 9
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Attempt to thaw pipes starts Lowville apartment building fire


LOWVILLE — An attempt to thaw frozen pipes ignited a fire in a three-family apartment building in the village Monday.

Lowville volunteer firefighters responded to reports of smoke in a basement at 7529 S. State St. about 3:30 p.m., where Lowville Fire Chief Timothy N. Bush said firefighters discovered a floor joist had caught fire and the flames spread through the floor.

Firefighters used chain saws to cut through a bathroom floor to extinguish the flames.

Traffic on State Street was blocked off from Elm Street to Dayan Street for approximately 90 minutes.

Mutual aid was requested from the Croghan and New Bremen fire departments. No injuries were reported and no tenants were displaced. The building is owned by Steven and Christine Ahrendt.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes