Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Tue., Oct. 6
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Electrical problem believed to cause fatal Hogansburg fire


HOGANSBURG — Preliminary reports indicate an electrical problem caused the house fire Sunday morning on St. Regis Road that killed three people.

Jarius Chrisjohn, 46, Javin Chrisjohn, 5, and Hunter Chrisjohn, 3, of 184 St. Regis Road, died of smoke inhalation, autopsy reports show. Family members Michelle David, 27, and her son Jericho Chrisjohn, 8, escaped.

The flames forced firefighters out of the building, thwarting attempts to rescue the father and his two young sons. The home was engulfed by the time fire departments responded, states a Thursday release by the St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Council.

An Akwesasne Mohawk Police constable was first on the scene, the news release said. Several community members also stopped to assist before Hogansburg, Akwesasne and Bombay volunteer fire departments arrived. Firefighters had the blaze under control within 45 minutes, but crews from 12 separate emergency response agencies remained until 8 p.m.

Tribal police expect the final report to be released by the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control soon. Funeral arrangements are by Donaldson Funeral Home in Massena and Carter Funeral Home in Syracuse.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes