Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown Daily Times
The Journal
Daily Courier-Observer
NNY Business
NNY Living
Malone Telegram
Thu., Apr. 24
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Electrical problem believed to cause fatal Hogansburg fire

print this article
e-mail this article

HOGANSBURG — Preliminary reports indicate an electrical problem caused the house fire Sunday morning on St. Regis Road that killed three people.

Jarius Chrisjohn, 46, Javin Chrisjohn, 5, and Hunter Chrisjohn, 3, of 184 St. Regis Road, died of smoke inhalation, autopsy reports show. Family members Michelle David, 27, and her son Jericho Chrisjohn, 8, escaped.

The flames forced firefighters out of the building, thwarting attempts to rescue the father and his two young sons. The home was engulfed by the time fire departments responded, states a Thursday release by the St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Council.

An Akwesasne Mohawk Police constable was first on the scene, the news release said. Several community members also stopped to assist before Hogansburg, Akwesasne and Bombay volunteer fire departments arrived. Firefighters had the blaze under control within 45 minutes, but crews from 12 separate emergency response agencies remained until 8 p.m.

Tribal police expect the final report to be released by the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control soon. Funeral arrangements are by Donaldson Funeral Home in Massena and Carter Funeral Home in Syracuse.

Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes
Reader Rewards
Reader Rewards