A fire that started when the owner of a mobile home attempted to unfreeze pipes with a propane heater left the underside of the residence damaged Friday evening.
Firefighters from Glen Park, Pamelia and Northpole fire departments responded to the Summit Mobile Home Park on Branche Road, located off Route 342 in the town of Pamelia.
At around 6:20 p.m., firefighters said, smoke could be seen coming from the bottom rear of the trailer.
James E. Claflin, the owner of the 25630 Branche Road residence, where he lives with his daughter, said he was attempting to warm frozen pipes with a propane-fueled salamander heater. He said he first noticed something was awry when a neighbor yelled out to him that he could see smoke coming from beneath the trailer.
Pamelia Fire Chief Gregory T. French said the damage was in the lower part of the structure.
Theres not much fire in the living area, Mr. French said. At around 7 p.m., he said, the fire was contained.
Robert E. Comstock Jr., the owner of the trailer park and Mr. Claflins brother-in-law, said the home, which was uninsured, may not be salvageable.
Its too old a home to put more money into, he said, adding Mr. Claflin will move in with me.