Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Thu., Oct. 8
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.

Massena/Louisville Relay for Life still seeking volunteers


MASSENA - Planning for the annual Massena/Louisville Relay for Life is underway, but there’s one thing lacking.


Event Chair Denise M. Furnace said they continue to look for volunteers to assist in the planning of the June 6-7 event, as well as work at the relay, which is staged at the Louisville Community Center. Several long-time committee members stepped down at the end of last year’s relay, opening the door for new members and new ideas.

“People can get involved by being a part of the committee, a volunteer, starting a team, being a member of a team, being a sponsor of this event, making both monetary donations and merchandise donations when approached by a team and lastly participating in the fundraising events held by the different teams,” Ms. Furnace said.

The money raised during the Relay for Life is put to good use, she said.

According to the American Cancer Society’s website, 72 percent of the organization’s resources go to cancer research, patient support, prevention information and education, and detection and treatment. The remaining 28 percent is spent on management compensation and general infrastructure, and fundraising expenses.

Of the money raised, $160 million has been spent on cancer research, $304 million has been spent on patient support, $153 million has been spent in prevention information and education, and $97 million has been spent on detection and treatment.

Money that has been spent to for support services include $59 million on management and general expenses and $218 milion on fundraising expenses.

Local support is essential to providing those services, Ms. Furnace said, since 96 percent of the American Cancer Society’s support comes from those who support special events or make personal or corporate contributions and bequests.

Another 3 percent comes from investment income, and 1 percent comes from grants and contracts from government agencies.

But it takes volunteers to make the fundraising a reality, and there are several upcoming opportunities to help out, Ms. Furnace said.

The first is tonight during the next committee meeting at 5 p.m. and team captain meeting at 7 p.m. Both meetings will be held at the Greater Massena Chamber of Commerce, 16 Church St.

“Anyone interested in relay is welcome to come to the meetings,” she said.

The Seaway - River of Hope team will be holding their annual fundraising St. Patrick’s Day auction and chili sale March 15 at Bobby I’s in Helena. That event kicks off immediately following the traditional St. Patrick’s Day parade through the hamlet.

Team No Regrets will also be raising money that day through a five-person team, nine-pin no-tap bowling tournament at the Bowlmor Lanes in Massena. The entry fee is $100, with payout to the top two teams. Interested teams can register by calling 250-3356 or stopping by Bowlmor Lanes. There will also be a 50/50 raffle.

The Commas for a Cure team will be holding a fundraising breakfast from 8 to 10:30 a.m. March 16 at the Emmanuel Congregational Church, West Orvis St., Massena. The breakfast includes a fruit bowl, scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, muffins, coffee, tea, juice and milk. The cost is a $5 donation, and children under 5 are free.

Team No Regrets holds another fundraiser, a volleyball tournament, starting at 10 a.m. March 29 at Massena High School. Teams must include two players of the opposite sex. There will also be a 50/50 raffle and bake sale. The entry fee is $90 per team, and the tournament will pay out to the top two teams. For more information or to enter, call 250-3356.

More information about this year’s Relay For Life Massena/Louisville event can be found on Facebook at Massena/Louisville Relay For Life.

To register for relay or make a donation, visit

For more information about relay, contact Ms. Furnace by email at or call 769-7186.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes