The Community Bank N.A., 216 Washington St., was evacuated shortly after 2:45 p.m. Tuesday after a smell of gas was detected in the building.
City Fire Chief Dale C. Herman said the smell was not caused by natural gas and that there was no risk of explosion or any other danger.
The scene was still under investigation Tuesday afternoon, but Mr. Herman suspected the cause might be the sewer causing gas backup.
The scene was not considered dangerous, but Mr. Herman said windows were opened to air out the building and those inside were evacuated. People were let back in shortly after 3:15 p.m.
Its better to be safe than sorry, he said.