LOWVILLE A Lowville woman was airlifted to a Syracuse hospital with burns after she accidentally set her hair and clothing on fire while trying to light a cigarette.
Village police and firefighters at 11:30 a.m. responded to a report of a fire at the Bateman Apartments on South State Street and found that Janel Shaw, 33, a resident in Apt. 208, had caught her hair and clothing on fire, but that another resident, Margaret Maschke, 61, had heard her calls for help and was able to extinguish the flames, according to police.
Ms. Shaw suffered second- and third-degree burns to her head, chest, abdomen and extremities, along with some burning to her airway, police said. She was taken by Lewis County Search and Rescue to Lewis County General Hospital, then taken by helicopter to Upstate Medical University, Syracuse. She initially was listed in serious condition.
There was minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of Ms. Shaws apartment, police said.