Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Wed., Oct. 7
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Lowville woman suffers burns as her hair catches on fire from lighting a cigarette


LOWVILLE — A Lowville woman was airlifted to a Syracuse hospital with burns after she accidentally set her hair and clothing on fire while trying to light a cigarette.

Village police and firefighters at 11:30 a.m. responded to a report of a fire at the Bateman Apartments on South State Street and found that Janel Shaw, 33, a resident in Apt. 208, had caught her hair and clothing on fire, but that another resident, Margaret Maschke, 61, had heard her calls for help and was able to extinguish the flames, according to police.

Ms. Shaw suffered second- and third-degree burns to her head, chest, abdomen and extremities, along with some burning to her airway, police said. She was taken by Lewis County Search and Rescue to Lewis County General Hospital, then taken by helicopter to Upstate Medical University, Syracuse. She initially was listed in serious condition.

There was minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of Ms. Shaw’s apartment, police said.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes