BROWNVILLE An electrical short in a hot tub caused a fire that extensively damaged a Bonney Road home Tuesday morning, Brownville Fire Chief Steven L. Mott said.
The fire was reported about 10:30 a.m. at 27522 Bonney Road. The house is owned by Scott T. Hunt, according to Jefferson County property records.
It took about 90 minutes for firefighters from several departments to extinguish the blaze. No one was at home at the time. A dog was rescued from the burning house but later died.
A Brownville firefighter had to be taken to Samaritan Medical Center, Watertown, for treatment of heat-related injuries, but no other injuries were reported, Jefferson County Deputy Fire Coordinator Willis G. McIntosh said.
Heavy black smoke was coming from the rear of the two-story house when firefighters arrived shortly after the fire was reported.
The fire had spread to the attic and firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the house, Mr. McIntosh said.
Assisting the Brownville Fire Department were the Dexter, Glen Park, Town of Watertown, Pamelia and Chaumont fire departments. Cape Vincent, Clayton, Plessis and Three Mile Bay firefighters were on standby.