Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Thu., Jul. 30
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Chris Fitz Gerald
Chris Fitz Gerald
Times Sportswriter
About ChrisSend e-mail
Saints Scrolls

Six Saints headed to NHL development camps

First published: June 24, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last modified: June 24, 2015 at 6:09 pm

CANTON — Six St. Lawrence University men’s hockey players will participate in National Hockey League development camps over the next few weeks, one of the largest contingents of Saints to do so in the same summer in program history.

NHL teams use the development camps to acclimatize their draft picks to how the organization works and familiarize them with other young players in the organization. The camps aren’t only for draft picks, though, and the teams invite undrafted players to attend to fill out the camp rosters and to give the clubs a longer look at promising future free agents.

None of the Saints attending prospect camps are draftees. Three, forward Woody Hudson, who will be a junior next season, goalie Kyle Hayton and defenseman Matt Purmal, who will be sophomores, will be in the Chicago Blackhawks prospect camp while rising junior defenseman Gavin Bayreuther will attend the Columbus Blue Jackets camp, rising sophomore forward Mike Marnell will take part in the New York Islanders camp and defenseman Nolan Gluchowski, who will also be a sophomore next season, will attend the Toronto Maple Leafs camp.

While important for the players in terms of exposure and experience, St. Lawrence head coach Greg Carvel also considers the opportunities significant for the Saints program.

“It is a great testament to the direction of our hockey program that we will have six players from next year’s team participating in NHL Development camps over the next few weeks,” Carvel said. “These players have all worked extremely hard on their games in order to receive the opportunity to showcase themselves at the pro level.

“Four of these players were freshmen last year and the other two were sophomores, so these camps will also be helping our team at SLU to develop and become stronger for the future. I am very proud and excited for the entire group.”


Colgate ends St. Lawrence’ season with 4-3 overtime triumph

First published: March 21, 2015 at 3:38 am
Last modified: March 21, 2015 at 3:38 am

LAKE PLACID — Junior Mike Borkowski scored the deciding goal nine minutes and 34 seconds into overtime to lift the No. 15-ranked Raiders to 4-3 victory over St. Lawrence University on Friday night in an ECAC Hockey semifinals before a turnout of 5,025 at Herb Brooks Arena.

The fourth-seeded Raiders (22-11-4), won in the semifinal round for the second straight year, advances to face sixth-seeded Harvard in the conference championship game at 7:35 tonight.

“We came back three times when we were down a goal,” St. Lawrence freshman goalie Kyle Hayton said. “But it’s obviously a tough loss losing in overtime.”

The second-seeded Saints, picked to finish 11th in ECAC Hockey in both of the league’s preseason polls, finish their season at 20-14-3.

“I think the difference tonight, now that the game is over, is that Colgate is a more experienced team than we are,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “They made us pay when we made mistakes in our game.”

With the game tied 2-2 through two periods, Joe Wilson scored the go-ahead goal for Colgate as he worked the puck from behind the net and tucked it past Hayton 2:33 into the third.

But sophomore defenseman Gavin Bayreuther and the Saints forced overtime as Bayreuther had his initial shot blocked, but then fired in a lengthy drive past goalie Charlie Finn for an extra-attacker goal 1:12 left in regulation.

“There wasn’t panic on our bench when we were down,” St. Lawrence senior captain Gunnar Hughes said. “We were desperate to score a goal and we made things happen by getting that tying goal. But obviously the end result is disappointing.”

Borkowski followed with the game winner as he scored on a blast from the slot with 10:26

remaining in overtime.

“To score a goal like that is nice, but what a great effort from our team,” Borkowski said. “Obviously we went up a few times and they fought back. It’s kind of like a microcosm of our season, we’ve faced adversity.”

Finn finished with 29 saves, including eight in overtime, to secure the win for the Raiders.

Hayton, who earlier in the day was honored as ECAC Hockey’s rookie of the year, finished with 27 saves.

“We had a really good season and good leadership from our seniors,” Hayton said. “We played well, but it’s just really disappointing to go out like this.”

Ultimately, the Saints didn’t have an answer for Colgate’s line of Borkowski, Darcy Murphy and Joe Wilson, which had a hand in all four goals.

Murphy scored two goals and assisted on another, while Borkowski totaled a goal and three assists as the line accounted for 11 points.

With the two teams meeting for the third consecutive year in the ECAC Hockey playoffs, Colgate eliminated St. Lawrence for the second straight season.

“Sure, this is a good win for us, but you really can’t talk about this game without talking about that St. Lawrence team,” said Colgate coach Don Vaughan, a former Saints player and assistant coach. “I think our teams looked very similar and they played us tough. ... Greg Carvel and Mike Hurlbut have done a phenomenal job with that program in a short period of time.”

Said Carvel: “I think as a group we showed a little inexperience at playing playoff games at this level and in this kind of environment,” Carvel said. “We didn’t play our best tonight, but we showed a lot of resiliency and we did play well enough to make it a good hockey game.”

The Raiders struck first by scoring on their first shot on goal of the game.

Murphy took in a feed from Borkowski ambled in on a partial breakaway and scored from the left faceoff circle for a 1-0 lead just 3:21 into the first period.

Just 1:04 into the second period, freshman winger Mike Marnell tied the game for St. Lawrence at 1-1 as he one-timed a feed from Joe Sullivan past Finn.

Murphy followed with his second goal of night as he cashed in on Saints turnover and Colgate led 2-1 at 5:46 of the period.

But the Saints responded again to draw even as Eric Sweetman tied the game at 2-2 with a power-play goal with 2:37 left in the period on a long-range blast on power play just inside blue line.

St. Lawrence, which competed in its first ECAC Hockey semifinal in five years, was bidding to reach its first conference final since 2001.

“We were picked to finish 11th because we lost a lot of scoring and a goalie who played four years,” Carvel said. “But I am more concerned about losing Gunnar Hughes, Pat Doherty and Chris Martin this year.

“They are really gutsy players, and heart is a lot harder to replace than talent.”

Colgate moves on to its second consecutive ECAC Hockey final. Last year in Lake Placid, the Raiders were beaten 5-2 by eventual national champion Union, but reached the NCAA Tournament via an automatic bid.


St. Lawrence’s Hayton a finalist for Mike Richter Award

First published: March 18, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last modified: March 18, 2015 at 6:59 pm

CANTON — St. Lawrence University freshman goalie Kyle Hayton is one of five finalists for the Mike Richter Award, presented to the top collegiate goalie in the nation.

The award honors the most outstanding goaltender in men’s hockey. The second annual award will be presented by Mike Richter at the 2015 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four in Boston.

Hayton ranks tied for first in the nation in save percentage (.939), fifth in shutouts (five) and sixth in goals against average (1.90).

Hayton backstopped the Saints to their ECAC Hockey playoff quarterfinal series sweep of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute this past weekend, totaling 66 saves and yielding only one goal in the series.

With his 27-save effort in a 1-0 victory over the Engineers last Friday, Hayton set the St. Lawrence single-season record for shutouts in a season with five. Hayton made 38 stops in a 5-1 Saints win on Saturday.

St. Lawrence will play in an ECAC Hockey’s semifinal against Colgate at 7:35 p.m. on Friday at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid.

Also, freshman Mike Marnell and Hayton were once again honored as ECAC Hockey weekly award winners this week.

Marnell was selected as conference rookie of the week for the third time this season after scoring two goals and assisting on a third in Saturday’s series-clinching win over RPI. It also marked the first multiple-goal game of his collegiate career.

Hayton earned his second ECAC Hockey goaltender of the week honor and fifth league weekly award overall.


Marnell, Hayton propel St. Lawrence to sweep of RPI to reach ECAC Hockey final four

First published: March 15, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last modified: March 15, 2015 at 12:26 am

CANTON — Kyle Hayton made 38 saves and fellow freshman Mike Marnell scored a pair of goals as St. Lawrence University downed Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 5-1 on Saturday night to finish off a sweep of an ECAC Hockey quarterfinal series before a turnout of 1,460 at Appleton Arena.

The second-seeded Saints (20-13-3), who won the first game, 1-0 the night before, advance to the conference’s championship weekend, starting in the semifinal round on Friday at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid at a time and against an opponent to be determined.

“It’s a great thing to get past this round,” Hayton said. “We’re going on to Lake Placid right now and I think everyone on the team here, coaches included, are super excited and ready to get at it.”

This will be St. Lawrence’s first trip to an ECAC Hockey semifinal since 2010, when the team finished fourth in the tournament.

“It’s great to be able to advance like this, especially for the seniors,” Marnell said.

Hayton allowed only one goal in the two games and totaled 65 saves for the series.

“Our freshman class has been outstanding,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “Marnell and Gluchowski had big nights tonight and Hayton has been tremendous from the start.”

In winning their final home game of the season, the surging Saints ran their winning streak in Canton to eight games.

After a series-opening win which featured only one goal in the game’s final minute, this time the Saints were quick starters against the Engineers.

St. Lawrence seized a 2-0 lead on goals from Marnell and Alexander Dahl within a span of one minute, five seconds in the first period.

“The unfortunate thing is I thought we out played them pretty significantly in the first period both nights and didn’t have anything to show for it,” said RPI coach Seth Appert, whose team out shot St. Lawrence, 39-27 for the game. “Realistically, that was probably the difference in the series.”

Said Hayton: “They got a lot of shots through today. I think for the most part our ‘D’ kept them to the outside and there were a few chances, but I think everyone played really well.”

Marnell opened the scoring by redirecting a shot from the point by freshman Nolan Gluchowski past goalie Jason Kasdorf 5:45 into the game.

The Saints led by two goals as a pass from Chris Martin deflected in off Dahl’s skate and the goal was upheld after a video review.

Both teams then traded breakaway goals in the second period.

The Engineers drew within 2-1 on Massena native Mark Miller’s breakaway tally as he lifted the puck over Hayton just 2:02 into the middle period.

St. Lawrence held the 2-1 advantage until Marnell took a pass from Martin, walked down the middle and beat Kasdorf with 1:51 left in the second period for a two-goal lead.

Kasdorf finished with 22 saves for the Engineers (12-26-3), who eliminated Clarkson in three games in a first-round playoff series last weekend.

St. Lawrence, which was picked to finish in 11th place in ECAC Hockey in both preseason league polls, will now prepare for the semifinal round.

“It is exciting to get back to Lake Placid with the chance to play for a championship,” Carvel added. “This group has certainly exceeded expectations throughout the year and I’m really proud of what we’ve accomplished so far.”


Martin, Hayton carry Saints to Game 1 ECAC Hockey quarterfinal win over Engineers

First published: March 14, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last modified: March 14, 2015 at 12:21 am

CANTON — Senior defenseman Chris Martin scored the deciding goal in the final minute of regulation and freshman goalie Kyle Hayton made 27 saves as St. Lawrence finished off its postseason opener in style with a 1-0 triumph over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the first game of an ECAC Hockey playoff quarterfinal series at Appleton Arena.

“It was a huge relief and that was a big goal,” said Hayton, who grew up in Denver.

With the effort, Hayton recorded his fifth shutout to set a school season-record and helped carry his team within a win of reaching the conference semifinal round.

But more importantly to Hayton, the second-seeded Saints seized the early-series advantage against the ninth-seeded Engineers.

“It’s nice and I like it, but I’m more worried about the wins at this point, especially in the playoffs,” Hayton said of setting a school record.

St. Lawrence (19-13-3) can finish off RPI (12-25-3) with a victory in the second game of the series at 7 tonight in Canton.

“It was unbelievable,” Martin said of his reaction to his goal. “There wasn’t much time left in the game and we hope this will be a momentum shift in the series. It’s best-of-three and every win counts.”

RPI, which has never won an ECAC Hockey quarterfinal series in the current format, defeated Clarkson in three games in a first-round playoff series last weekend.

In their return to the north country after knocking off the Golden Knights last Sunday, the Engineers appeared to be heading to overtime against St. Lawrence.

That was until Martin sent a drive from the left point which deflected off an RPI defenseman and past goalie Jason Kasdorf with 51.5 seconds remaining in regulation.

“I was just trying to get it on net and I think it hit one of their guys and went in,” Martin said. “It just goes to show you when you throw the puck at the net, good things usually happen.”

Hayton made 14 saves over the last two periods, including six in the third to secure the shutout — his fifth of the season to set a Saints school record.

“Kyle made some tremendous saves early and continued through the course of the game,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “Every save in a 1-0 game is a big one. It is great to see him get the record. He had some shots at it earlier, but a 1-0 win in his first playoff start makes it special.”

Hayton, who had recorded his first four shutouts over the first two months of the season, also registered just the sixth shutout in the program’s postseason history.

Kasdorf finished with 33 saves for the Engineers, including 25 overall the last two periods.

But it was St. Lawrence’s final shot, which was not exactly a thing of beauty, which was the difference.

“It was a good game, it was a war out there,” Martin said. “It took a little while to get our legs going after that first-round bye, but I think we responded well as a team.”

Junior winger Alex Hagen took the puck away from an RPI defender after the Engineers won a faceoff in their own zone. Hagen passed the puck to Woody Hudson, who sent it back to Martin.

“We spent a little too much in our ‘D’ zone in the third period and when you do that, sometimes bad things happen,” RPI coach Seth Appert said.

RPI killed off all three St. Lawrence power plays. The Engineers have now fended off all 15 of the opposition’s man advantages in four games this postseason, including all 12 against Clarkson.

The Saints held RPI went scoreless on its pair of power plays, including one which expired with 2:23 remaining in the game.

St. Lawrence is now one win away from reaching the ECAC Hockey semifinals for the first time since 2010.

If RPI can tie the series, a third game will be played at 7 p.m. Sunday at Appleton Arena.

“We knew coming in it was going to be a close series,” Engineers junior forward and Massena native Mark Miller said. “It’s playoff hockey and this was a hard and physical game. We’ve been in this position before, so we still have a chance to win two games.”


St. Lawrence routs Dartmouth, 6-3, to secure second place

First published: February 22, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last modified: February 22, 2015 at 12:29 am

CANTON — Sophomore Woody Hudson scored a pair of goals and St. Lawrence University received three other goals from underclassmen to roll past Dartmouth College, 6-3 on Saturday night before a turnout of 1,503 at Appleton Arena to clinch second place in ECAC Hockey.

The No. 20-ranked Saints (18-11-3, 14-5-1), who secured a first-round playoff bye the night before, prevailed in their regular-season home finale to stretch their winning streak at home to six games.

“It’s exciting, it’s just a credit to our senior class with the leadership they’ve displayed all year,” Hudson said. “Last year we weren’t this confident going into the playoffs, it’s amazing what they’ve done to show us what it takes.”

The Saints, who have two games remaining in the regular season, last finished second in the ECAC standings in 2001.

“This team has made me very proud all year,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “We were picked to finish 11th in the polls, but we had a goal of first-round home ice, then the bye and we met each of those. Now our third goal is to get to Lake Placid and play for a championship.”

The Saints also halted a seven-game home losing skein against the Big Green (13-10-4, 10-8-2), who recorded a split on their north country trip.

“We’re on a roll here, we’re playing well,” said St. Lawrence senior forward Justin Bruckel, who assisted on both of Hudson’s goals. “Along with my linemates, I think we’re doing well and everyone else is contributing, too.”

After Dartmouth drew within 2-1 on Rick Pinkston’s goal with 6.7 seconds left in the second period, Hudson struck for his second goal of the game as he finished off a feed from Bruckel 2:46 into the third.

“When you’re that big, why wouldn’t you go to the net and get rewarded? And that’s what he did tonight,” Carvel said of Hudson, who stands at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds.

St. Lawrence freshman Joe Sullivan followed with an unassisted goal as he stripped the puck from a defender and sent the puck past goalie Charles Grant at 10:28 for a 4-1 lead.

The Big Green closed within 4-2 on Pinkston’s second goal at 11:34, but just 32 seconds later, Saints junior Tommy Thompson tucked the puck through Grant’s leg pads as he was being pulled down on a breakaway and St. Lawrence led 5-2.

Nick Bligh would pull Dartmouth again to within two with a power-play goal at 18:47 with Grant pulled for an extra attacker, but Saints freshman Mike Marnell scored an empty-net goal with 51.9 seconds left.

Freshman Christian Horn provided the Saints with a 1-0 lead as he broke through the defense and beat Grant from the left faceoff circle 10:12 into the game.

St. Lawrence then generated a workmanlike goal as after defenseman Nolan Gluchowski tried a wraparound shot after working his way from behind the net, Hudson was there at the doorstep to knock in the rebound at 14:43 of the opening period.

Kyle Hayton made 28 saves to record the win, which also marked the first time in the past 13 game that the freshman goalie yielded more than two goals.

NOTES: Bruckel and fellow seniors Gunnar Hughes, Patrick Doherty and Chris Martin were honored after the game. ... The Saints’ 9-5-1 home record is the program’s best since the 2009-2010 season. They finished 8-3 on home ice in league play, the team’s best mark since the 2006-07 campaign. ... Hayton entered the game leading the nation in save percentage (.941). ... Sullivan has scored five goals in his past 13 games, with four of them game winners, and his goal on Saturday tied him for the team lead in deciding goals with sophomore defenseman Gavin Bayreuther. ... St. Lawrence concludes its regular season at Union and Rensselaer next Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.


Saints cruise past Crimson, 5-1, secure first-round bye

First published: February 21, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last modified: February 21, 2015 at 6:37 pm

CANTON — Gunnar Hughes had a hand in three goals, including scoring the game’s first two, as No. 20-ranked St. Lawrence rolled past No. 14 Harvard 5-1 at Appleton Arena to secure a first-round bye in the ECAC Hockey playoffs.

The Saints (17-11-3 overall, 13-5-1 ECAC), who had already wrapped up home ice for the playoffs last weekend, will receive a bye into the quarterfinal round for the first time in six seasons.

“That’s been our goal ever since we started winning some games here,” Hughes, the Saints’ team captain, said. “We’re trying to get ready for the playoffs as much as we can.”

In what might have been its most complete effort of the season, St. Lawrence strengthened its hold on second place in the conference.

“That was the best game we have played all season,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “Last weekend we weren’t our usual selves and we came away with only one point. But we talked this week about starting to elevate going into the playoffs and I think we really elevated our game tonight.”

The Saints also continued their recent dominance over Harvard (13-9-3, 9-7-3) as they extended their unbeaten streak against the Crimson to six games (5-0-1).

“It’s always been fun to play against them, and I always get a little bit of an extra kick when we face them,” said Hughes, who also scored the game’s first goal in St. Lawrence’s victory at Harvard on Jan. 17, also a 5-1 decision. “ ... I don’t know what it is, but I love playing against them.”

The Saints, who can finish no lower than fourth place, can clinch second place by earning two more points and can secure at least third place with one more point.

“I think we’re playing playoff hockey, that’s the way we’re describing it,” Hughes said. “This is an exciting time for us.”

With the game tied 1-1 entering the second period, the Saints struck for three goals within a span of four minutes, 20 seconds to take command.

Hughes provided the go-ahead goal as he finished off a feed from Patrick Doherty with a drive from outside the right faceoff circle that deflected off a Harvard player at 10:14 of the period.

Tommy Thompson and Joe Sullivan each followed with a goal within a span of 1:20 as Thompson fired in his own rebound at 13:32.

Sullivan then scored from the right faceoff circle at 14:34 for a 4-1 Saints advantage.

Mike Marnell added a goal for St. Lawrence 6:59 into the third period.

“I give a lot of credit to St. Lawrence,” Harvard coach Ted Donato said. “When it was all said and done, they out-competed us all over the ice.”

The Saints led 1-0 on Hughes’ goal 9:06 into the game as he knocked in a pass from Thompson past goalie Steve Michalek.

Harvard drew even at 1-1 on Tyler Moy’s power-play goal on a blast from the left point just inside the blue line with 14 seconds left in the opening period.

Freshman goalie Kyle Hayton made 25 saves to secure the win for St. Lawrence, which extended its streak of not allowing two or more goals to 12 games.

The Saints, who have won five consecutive home games, host Dartmouth at 7 p.m. today on the team’s senior night.


St. Lawrence ties Princeton, 1-1, secures home-playoff series

First published: February 14, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Last modified: February 15, 2015 at 12:09 am

Patrick Doherty scored a shorthanded goal in the first period for St. Lawrence, but Mike Ambrosia followed with a goal in the second period and Princeton went on to record a 1-1 tie with the No. 20-ranked Saints on Saturday night in an ECAC Hockey game at Hobey Baker Rink.

With the point, second-place St. Lawrence (16-11-3, 12-5-1 ECAC) assured itself of hosting a conference playoff series, and put itself in a strong position to secure a first-round bye with four games remaining in the regular season.

“That was our goal at the beginning of the year, to secure home ice for the first round,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “That’s huge and now we have to try to win a game or two and that should secure us one of the four byes, which is now the goal in front of us.”

Goalie Colton Phinney made 34 saves to record the win for last-place Princeton (4-17-3, 2-14-2), which went 1-0-1 over the weekend, including a 2-1 victory over Clarkson on Friday.

“It was a real good college hockey game,” Carvel said. “There was a lot of speed up and down the ice and I thought we played pretty well. We had a lot of scoring chances and I thought their goaltender made a lot of good saves.”

Kyle Hayton finished with 21 saves for the Saints, who recorded their first tie of the season in conference play.

Doherty opened the scoring with a breakaway goal 9 minutes, 47 seconds into the game.

Ambrosia tied the game for Princeton as he scored a power-play goal 12:49 into the second period. The tally was the first man-advantage goal allowed by St. Lawrence in eight games.

With the game still tied, Phinney denied Christian Horn’s partial breakaway bid in the third period.

The Tigers nearly scored in the first minute of overtime, but Hayton made a pad save on Tucker Brockett as the forward skated into the goalie. Officials upheld the no-goal call after a video review.

St. Lawrence out shot Princeton, 35-22, including 4-3 in overtime.

With the draw against Princeton, St. Lawrence now leads third-place Yale by three points, 25-22, fourth-place Harvard by four points and fifth-place Dartmouth by five points. The top four finishers will receive a first-round bye in the playoffs.

The Saints, who can finish no lower than eighth place, will host Harvard and Dartmouth at 7 p.m. next Friday and Saturday in their final two home games of the regular season.


Quinnipiac edges St. Lawrence to snap Saints’ win streak at seven

First published: February 14, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last modified: February 14, 2015 at 12:15 am

HAMDEN, Conn. — In a showdown for conference supremacy, one streak in ECAC Hockey continued for Quinnipiac on Friday night while another came to an end at the expense of St. Lawrence University.

Soren Jonzzon and Brandon Smith each scored in the second period as the No. 13-ranked Bobcats rallied for a 2-1 victory in an ECAC Hockey game at High Point Solutions Arena to halt the No. 20 Saints’ winning streak at seven games.

The Bobcats extended their unbeaten streak in league play to nine games (8-0-1) and also tightened their grip on first place.

“It was a hard-fought game, I thought both teams battled real hard,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “The way Quinnipiac plays, they make it difficult for you to move the puck through the neutral zone and our guys got a little frustrated at times.”

With five games remaining in the regular season, Quinnipiac (19-8-2 ECAC Hockey, 14-2-1), now leads second-place St. Lawrence (16-11-2, 12-5) by five points, 29-24, in the standings.

Junior goalie Michael Garteig made 23 saves, including stopping Sean McGovern on a penalty shot, to earn the win for the Bobcats and out duel Saints freshman Kyle Hayton, who finished with 31 saves.

“We learned a lesson tonight,” Carvel said. “Which is when you’re playing the No. 1 team in the league, you have to play hungry and you have to compete a little bit harder.”

Despite the loss, St. Lawrence is on the cusp of clinching at least home ice for the first round of the playoffs.

The Saints, who are in quest of a top four finish and a first-round bye, can secure at least a home playoff series in the opening round with either a win or tie at Princeton tonight.

St. Lawrence seized a 1-0 lead as just after Christian Horn missed on a breakaway bid, McGovern one-timed a feed from Ryan Lough past Garteig five minutes, 41 seconds into the game.

Quinnipiac, which also ended a four-game home losing skein against the Saints, then struck for two goals, both assisted by Matthew Peca, within a span of 2 1/2 minutes in the second period to take the lead.

Jonzzon drew the Bobcats even as he converted on a Saints’ turnover with a goal at 8:24 of the period and Smith followed with a tally at 10:54 and Quinnipiac led 2-1.

“They scored two goals quickly in the second period on plays where we were unable to get the puck out of our zone,” Carvel said. “They scored on shots from high in the zone and Kyle usually doesn’t get beat on those shots.”

The Saints pulled Hayton for an extra attacker with 31 seconds remaining in regulation, but were unable to get a shot on net.

The Saints and Bobcats each went scoreless on their two power-play opportunities, respectively.

St. Lawrence’s penalty-killing unit extended its streak of not allowing a goal to six games.

The Saints complete their road trip at Princeton, which defeated Clarkson, 2-1, on Friday, at 7 p.m. tonight.


Saints rout Dutchmen to push win streak to seven (VIDEO)

First published: February 07, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last modified: February 08, 2015 at 5:07 am

CANTON — Tommy Thompson scored a pair of breakaway goals and goalie Kyle Hayton made 32 saves as St. Lawrence University recorded a 7-1 victory over Union in an ECAC Hockey game at Appleton Arena to post its seventh consecutive victory.

Six different players scored for the Saints (16-10-2, 12-4 ECAC Hockey), who have forged the program’s longest winning streak in 14 seasons.

“It’s awesome,” Thompson said. “Everything is going the right way, we’re playing real hard hockey and I think we’re playing playoff hockey, too.”

With its eighth victory in its past nine games, St. Lawrence also strengthened its hold on second place in the conference.

“Every week we’re getting better and every week we’re turning more heads,” Hayton said. “We beat a national championship team, 7-1. ... We’re just playing well.”

Thompson scored 13 minutes, 13 seconds into the game to set the tone for St. Lawrence, which received goal production from six different players.

“I thought it was a real close game for 25 minutes,” St. Lawrence coach Greg Carvel said. “I thought they came out with more jump than we did, and we were a little fortunate they didn’t cash in on a couple of chances early. Then we were very opportunistic in the second period and used our speed to great advantage.”

The Saints then erupted for five unanswered goals in the second period, including two within the first two minutes on scores from Joe Sullivan and Alexander Dahl, to make quick work of the reigning national champion Dutchmen (14-12-2, 6-9-1).

Thompson followed with his shorthanded, unassisted breakaway goal at 5:40.

Sean McGovern and Nolan Gluchowski also scored in the period for St. Lawrence and Ryan Lough added a goal in the third period.

Hayton stopped all 32 shots faced before Union averted the shutout on Ryan Scarfo’s goal with 1:01 remaining in the game.

St. Lawrence opened up a six-point lead over four teams who are tied for third place in the ECAC — Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth and Clarkson — with three weeks remaining in the regular season.

“This is the way we want to play going into the last six games of our regular season,” Thompson said.

St. Lawrence’s current winning streak is its longest since the 1999-2000 campaign, when the team went 27-8-2 and made the NCAA Frozen Four.

The Saints killed off all six Dutchmen power plays and didn’t allow a man-advantage goal for the fifth straight game.

Four of the Saints’ last six regular-season games are on the road as they play at No. 16 Quinnipiac and Princeton next Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.

Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes